What is it?
The last weekend of August 2014 saw an influx of explicit photos of famous people find their way on to the internet. The internet being the place that it is went crazy with some trying to find more, others asking how and many condoning the breach of privacy. The Fappening as it has been named by the masses is the result.
Fap is an internet neologism, an onomatopoeic intransitive verb referring to the act of male masturbation, whose sound is imitative of the associated slapping of testicles against the body.
Happening an event or occurrence.
“altogether it was an eerie happening”
synonyms: occurrence, event, incident, scene, affair, circumstance, phenomenon, episode, adventure, experience, occasion, action, activity, development, eventuality, accident, case, business, thing
“he was a witness to these bizarre happenings”
There are ways to start Autumn and find an alternative positive way to proclaim Summer over. With Summer over there is no need to go outside any more. Need an excuse to stay in? You’ve probably seen in the news that:
CELEBRITIES ARE JUST LIKE YOU AND ME;
NAKED UNDERNEATH THEIR CLOTHES TOO.
Sarcasm to one side, you’re probably wondering which celebrities the internet now has proof of that are just like us. There has been a list thrown around of 101 celebrities of which photos are being released of them in various states of undress and engaging in completely normal stuff that readers of the Daily Mail find gross and sticky. Here is the list of alleged victims of this current leak and although this list is vast the actual number of celebrities who have photos of them on the net is a lot smaller:
- AJ Michalka, American actress, singer-songwriter, and musician
- Alyson ‘Aly’ Michalka, AJ’s sister, also an American actress
- Allegra Carpenter, actress, best known for The Fault In Our Stars
- Abigail Spencer, American actress
- Alana Blanchard, American professional surfer and bikini model
- Alexa Jane, model
- Angelina McCoy, actress, best known for Enchanted
- Anna O’Neill
- Ashley Blankenship, actress, appeared in The Wolf Of Wall Street
- Aubrey Plaza, American actress and comedian
- Abigail ‘Abby’ Elliott, American actress, voice actress and comedian
- AnnaLynne McCord, actress and model
- Avril Lavigne, Canadian singer-songwriter
- Amber Heard, American actress and model
- Rebecca ‘Becca’ Tobin, actress, singer, and dancer
- Brie Larson, American actress, screenwriter, director and singer
- Brittany Booker
- Candace Smith, American lawyer, actress, model, and beauty queen
- Candice Swanepoel, South African fashion model, best known for her work with Victoria’s Secret
- Cara Delevingne, English fashion model
- Carley Pope, Canadian actress
- Carmella Carcia
- Carrie Michalka
- Cat Deeley, English television presenter, actress, singer and model
- Carly Foulkes, Canadian model and actress
- Chloe Dykstra, actress and model
- Clare Bowen, Australian actress and singer
- Dove Cameron, 18-year-old U.S. actress and singer
- Elena Satine, Georgian-American actress and singer
- Elle Evans, American model and actress
- Ellenore Scott
- Emily Browning, Australian film actress and singer
- Emily DiDonato, model from New York
- Emily Ratajkowski, British-born model and actress
- Erin Cummings, American actress
- Erin Heatherton, American fashion model and actress
- Farrah Abraham, TV personality, author and pornographic actress
- Gabrielle Union, American actress and former model
- Gabi Grecko
- Hayden Panettiere, U.S. actress, model and singer
- Hope Solo, American goalkeeper and two-time Olympic gold medalist
- Heather Marks, Canadian model
- Hilary Duff, American actress and singer-songwriter
- Jacqueline Dunford
- Janelle Ginestra
- Jennifer Lawrence, American actress
- Jessiqa Pace
- Jessica Dunford
- Jessica Riccardi, model
- Jesse Golden
- JoJo, American singer, songwriter and actress
- Joanna Krupa, Polish American model and actress
- Jennifer ‘Jenny’ McCarthy, American model and actress
- Josie Loren, U.S. actress
- Joy Corrigan
- Kaley Cuoco, American actress
- Kaime O’Teter
- Kate Upton, American model and actress
- Kate Bosworth, American actress
- Kelly Brook, English model, actress and TV presenter
- Lauren ‘Keke’ Palmer, American actress and singer-songwriter
- Kim West, American TV personality socialite
- Kirsten Dunst, American actress, singer, model and director
- Krysten Ritter, U.S. actress, musician, and former model
- Lake Bell, American actress
- Laura Ramsey, film and television actress
- Lea Michele, actress and singer, best known for her performance as Rachel Berry on the Fox TV series Glee
- Leelee Sobieski, actress
- Leven Rambin, American actress
- Lisa Kelly, American trucker who appeared in Ice Road Truckers
- Lisalla Montenegro, Brazilian model
- Lindsay Clubine
- Lizzy Caplan, American actress
- Mary-Kate Olsen, American actress and fashion designer
- Mary Elizabeth Winstead, actress and recording artist
- McKayla Maroney, artistic gymnast
- Melissa Benoist, American actress and singer
- Meagan Good, actress
- Megan Boone, actress
- Michelle Keegan, English actress, best known for playing the role of Tina McIntyre in the ITV soap opera Coronation Street
- Mikayla Pierce
- Misty Treanor, retired American beach volleyball player
- Nina Stavris
- Rachel Nichols, American actress and model
- Rihanna, singer
- Sarah Shahi, American actress
- Sahara Ray
- Sarah Schneider, American writer, actress, and comedian
- ScarJo (possibly Scarlett Johansson, actress)
- Selena Gomez, American actress and singer
- Shannon McNally, singer-songwriter
- Tameka Jacobs
- Teresa Palmer, Australian actress and model
- Vanessa Hudgens, American actress and singer
- Victoria Justice, Nickelodeon actress
- Wailana Geisen
- Winona Ryder, American actress
- Yvonne Strahovski, Australian actress
- Alison Brie (U.S. actress)
- Dave Franco (U.S. actor)
Yeah, it is a massive list and with my knowledge of celebrities I’ll put my hands up and say I’ll just have to believe them when people say they are famous.
WHERE ARE THESE PHOTOS THEN?
The images are getting deleted as fast as they are uploaded. It appears 4Chan was the first place that the public uploads began. These were then uploaded by Twitter users whom were then receiving bans across the social network.
As more and more people began searching for them it became inevitable that somewhere would start pulling together all the leaks into one place. Many users on Reddit started compiling the photos into some sort of order whilst waiting for more to arrive. This section of Reddit which didn’t exists a couple of weeks ago has now been visiting more than their most popular section. There’s no point me not linking to them as I’m going to assume the majority of those finding this article on Google are here just for them.
How did thE FAPPENING happen?
There is a part of the internet that the majority of users never venture on to. It is known as the dark or deep web. Basically it is anything that requires either a different type of connection to access or doesn’t utilise the regular www.websitename.com domain system to access. The software to access these sites is free so it isn’t that difficult to get yourself on there but what you have to ask yourself is “Do I want to bother?”
It is slow, purposely difficult to navigate and most of the time everything on there can be found easily on Google. I say most of the time. For that slither of stuff that you can’t get on the regular internet you’ll more than likely find it isn’t worth the prison time reward for locating it. Think of the film 8mm for inspiration:
The deep web hosts hordes of information and you’ll read that you can get anything from there. From drugs to weapons to assassins, the deep web has them all. This concept isn’t anything new though. You can go into a pub on a Friday night and with enough amber fuel usually find the same things on offer depending on whether the locals are ordering wines or lighting shots by the bar and making regular trips to the toilet for their “runny noses”. I’ve found the biggest clue is check for paint on tracksuit bottoms. There is a direct ratio on Number of patrons with decorator tracksuits to the likelihood that illicit materials can be purchased within the premises or in an ally very near by. This is the real black market that operates right in front of us. The deep web is just a digital black market.
So the deep web is basically you’re typical dodgy pub with a lot of offers but usually few actually taking any of them up. It is normally all front or alcohol fuelled stories of confidence. Here is an extremely disturbing example of such a tale that I don’t recommend reading that has since been proven to just be a fantasy story. Still someone thought it up.
Let us get back on track; celebrity nude photos. Rumours have surfaced that this latest release of snaps have come from one source and that the hacker involved worked on his own to obtain them from iCloud.
This is bollocks.
Just like how you build you collection of football stickers or POGs or Pokemon or Digimon or whatever you collect, you have to trade to get closer to a full collection. The rules of trading require at least two parties. The best collections then have to include multiple other people involved if you are going to grow your collection. With a digital trading systems you don’t lose your original POG or Mighty Max or whatever as you are sending copies. Both parties’ collections grow. Most importantly, it takes time for these collections to become of any size. We have to assume that a lot of these photos were obtained further afield in the past than just one hacker which was able to locate 101 iCloud accounts and the information within them. Apple have released a statement about their systems have not in fact been breached.
Here was the clue:
The creepy effort isn’t that something deleted was recovered but that the hack was made a long time ago and they had been kept a secret since then.
So there are multiple sources for all of these photos but it only requires one person to have amassed his collection to 101 celebrities to start releasing them in the style that has been unfolding. Reports are suggesting that the website that was the true source for all the images are that of Anon.IB although rumours were rampant that 4Chan was the original birthing pool for this escapade. 4chan has been just as intrigued to find out the sources too:
The original source in my definition is the person(s) who took the photos from their original owners. Whether this be from iCloud or more likely a friend or worker close to these celebrities who has stolen them in the past and shared them in a small circle that has then leaked further. They probably had no intentions for them to end up in the public domain but hey ho shit happens.
This brings flashbacks to the story of Abi Titmus and John Leslie when the boyfriend of the girl in their sextape sold on the footage 4 years later. The tape wasn’t stolen the day before and then immediately released. He played a waiting game wanting money for the footage. The creepy ring of traders have been doing the same thing with celebrity nude photos. They keep their collection to themselves and only trade for what they do not have. They trade in tits, ass and bitcoin.
THe Outcum of the fappening
There has been a lot of slamming against the release of the photos from everyone and of course the privacy concerns it has raised. Are you safe on line? The majority of the time yes. Should you be worried about where your photos end up? Of course.
There was a backlash where 4chan started a trending hashtag #LeakforJLaw resulting in a large number of ladies stripping naked in support of Jennifer Lawrence. Hats off to the prank it certainly improved Twitter for a day.
Jennifer Lawrence has also asked folks to instead donate to the Prostate Cancer Foundation which has resulted in a substantial amount of money being raised [Update 3/9/2014 – The donations have been refunded]
Unfortunately though the uploaders of the original leaks have sent statements out that there will be more photos appearing over the coming days and weeks. Do people care? If you do care then why? Celebrities are just people we recognise. Sure people fantasise about meeting them but that’s all you’ll get out of a fantasy; a dream. (Plus there is definitely a link between why celebrities don’t want their topless pictures out in the open and how good their boobs actually look. Sorry Cat).
It might be time to start putting some effort in and working on chatting to some real life girls – not the ones doing the decorating down the pub offering you something in a pouch to sniff. Instead, maybe its time we leave the internet to implode and use our new found energy to something better:
If you haven’t got a dog then what I mean is “Stop wanking and get a girlfriend. They are a better conversationalist than pictures and fantasies. They touch back for one.” I’m having to follow my own advice here being single but we can learn together.
How do you prevent this then? I only have one solution that so far has proved successful:
STOP TAKING PHOTOS AND VIDEOS OF YOUR GENITALS AND SENDING THEM ACROSS THE INTERNET.
How do we prevent this as a society? For one nudity shouldn’t be a taboo. A music festival with a nude theme would go down well too. A Nudesic Festival. I’m copyrighting that now. And it should be on the beach. If it has been done before then I god damn hope someone has filmed it. I’m now realising the hypocrisy of my own self. Shit. Better leave on something inspirational:
See, nudity is awesome but only when everyone is cool with it. I’m cool with it. Are you?